Skip to content

Pet Travel

It is now relatively easy for our pets to travel. For full information visit the Pet Travel Scheme website or call the helpline on 0370 241 1710.

The international travel document your pet will require is a pet passport which we can prepare for you. To issue the passport your pet must first be microchipped and then vaccinated against Rabies, booster vaccinations are then given every three years. To travel within EU listed countries you may use the passport from 21 days after the date of the rabies vaccination. For non EU listed countries blood tests and an export certificate may be needed, please check the DEFRA website.

A certificate must be obtained from a vet for the treatment of Tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) 24 to 120 hours before re-entry into the UK. If your trip will last less than 120 hours then we can administer this treatment and sign the passport for you otherwise you must see a veterinary surgeon in the country you are visiting within this time frame.

Whilst tick treatment is not now a requirement of the pet travel scheme we strongly recommend preventative tick treatment for areas where tick-borne diseases are endemic, as some of these can be fatal to pets. Please speak to us about tick control.

For exportation of pets you may need the help of a shipping company, there is a company based in Colchester called Fetchapet. For more information call 01206 330332 or email